Flinders University Speech Pathology Service
“Individual speech therapy for your child’s specific needs”
The Flinders University Speech and Language Early Intervention Clinic is a private clinic run by Speech Pathology & Audiology in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
Our clinic provides speech and language assessment and therapy services to children between 18 months and 6 years of age. Ongoing services are available for children under 6 years of age.
This clinic is run by an experienced speech pathology clinical educator who is employed by Flinders University. Speech pathology students are directly supervised by the speech pathology clinical educator to provide individual programs to participating children. A written report is provided detailing assessment results and management recommendations.
- Individual speech pathology assessment directed towards your child’s specific communication needs
- Specific feedback regarding your child’s speech pathology assessment results, focusing on areas of both strength and weakness
- Joint goal setting between the parent and the student clinician to allow the parent to have a significant input into the communication program developed
- Weekly individual therapy program based on your child’s speech pathology assessment results and identified goals
- Written speech pathology assessment report and written report of progress at the end of each semester of therapy
- Provision of a home program for each child to encourage and reinforce their progress for the duration of their therapy program.
How is the program run
Children participating in this clinic receive weekly speech therapy directed by a speech pathology student and supervised by the speech pathology clinical educator, regardless of the severity of the child’s speech and language difficulties.
This provides all participating children intensive individual speech pathology services targeting their specific area of concern. In some circumstances, parents may feel that their child would benefit from less frequent therapy and this can be negotiated with the clinical educator.
The Flinders University Early Intervention Clinic runs during the university semester providing weekly intervention services. Individual programs are run as required for each child until they are ready to be discharged from the service, or turn six years of age.
Alternatively, parents may choose to end their child’s program at any time.
Children who access the Early Intervention Clinic will not lose their place on the waiting list for primary health based speech pathology services and parents may choose to access our clinic services for their child whilst awaiting the commencement of primary health speech pathology services.
Each child will receive one hour of therapy a week over 5 weeks during the program. The cost is $40 per session.
To make an appointment, please ring the clinic on 08 7221 8700.